Cognitive Health Program
Cognitive Health Program
Bredeson Protocol and Recode
As we age, the effects of our diet, lifestyle, toxic exposures and general stresses can catch up with us, and the result can be a decline in cognitive health, amongst many other conditions. Our brains, just like any other organ, can be damaged by inflammation, oxidative stress, nutrient deficiencies, stress, hormone imbalances and physical injury, all of which can cause accelerated aging.
When brain health declines beyond a certain point, a person may be diagnosed with dementia or Alzheimer’s disease. But there are many small signals in the years that precede such a diagnosis that can be treated and the decline reversed.
At present, modern medicine has little to offer patients with dementia, Alzheimer’s or other conditions of cognitive decline. It has become accepted that the person’s condition will inevitably progress, rather than get better.
30 years ago, Dr Dale Bredeson began to research the driving factors behind neurodegenerative disease, and now, as a result of his research, we can help people recover, by identifying the causes for each individual, and designing a program to repair the damage.
In his research, Dr Bredeson discovered that the brain produces beta-amyloid plaque in an effort to protect itself from damage – caused mainly by inflammation, nutritional deficiencies, unresolved infections, poor micro-circulation, head injury, toxic exposure or metabolic imbalances.
Elspeth has completed training in The Bredeson Protocol for treatment of cognitive decline, and can therefore offer specialist treatment in this area.
What the Bredeson Protocol involves
What the Bredeson Protocol involves
There is no single cause of the neural impairment that causes cognitive decline. Stopping and reversing the brain ageing process requires a careful and thorough evaluation of the factors that have contributed to the decline in brain function in your particular case. Every person is different and there is no one-size-fits-all treatment.
Elspeth will make use of any of the following methods of investigation, before deciding on a complete treatment program:
- Initial Consultation – during which a detailed health history is taken, medical tests completed are reviewed, and general pathology and relevant functional medicine tests are initiated.
- Online Cognitive Health Assessment Questionnaire – a link to a secure online cognitive assessment will be sent to you by email, to be completed before your second consultation.
- Cognitive Health Assessment Questionnaire – this will be provided to you at your first consultation, for you to complete and email back before your second consultation.
- APOE gene test – this is a simple mouth swab test that can identify your genetic risk of potential cognitive decline.
- Comprehensive pathology testing – which will look for any of the many contributing factors to cognitive declines, such as nutritional deficiencies such as vitamin D, inflammatory markers, blood sugar levels, liver and kidney function, cholesterol and blood lipids, anion gap, cardiovascular risk factors, zinc and copper ratio and others.
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis – may be required to assess digestive/colon health, leaky gut, gut pathogens etc.
- Organic Acids test – may be required, to assess for metabolic factors such a mitochondrial dysfunction, specific nutrient deficiencies and more.
Once all data has been gathered and assessed, a program that includes diet, lifestyle, exercise and nutrient/herbal supplementation will be recommended.
It is possible to repair damaged brain cells and restore memory loss, foggy thinking and the anxiety it causes. The best time to start is when early signs begin to show. This is exactly when most people go into denial and just hope it will go away.
If you have any concerns about your memory, brain health or cognitive capacity, don’t wait to see what happens! Alzheimers is being diagnosed in people as young as 40 nowadays, due to that many factors in modern day life that damage our cells and reduce our brain function. Take action now, and request a cognitive health assessment!
Elspeth may use general pathology tests to gain more information about your current health status. These tests include blood tests, stool or urine tests or breath tests. Example of these are:
- Full Thyroid Function
- Female or Male Hormone Profile
- Coeliac Disease
- General Wellness blood profile
- Active B12
- Iron Profile
- Helicobacter pylori breath test
- Fasting glucose, insulin and HbA1C
- Vitamin A, B1, B6, C, D and E
- Serum zinc, copper, chromium, aluminium, cadmium selenium, lead, , magnesium, calcium, phosphate
- Urinary aluminium, arsenic, chromium, copper, iodine, mercury, nickel
- Inflammatory markers: High Sensitive C Reactive Protein (HiCRP), CRP, EST
- Liver Function Test
- Lipid Profile
- Allergy Profile
- Metabolic Bone Study
- Ross River Virus, Epstein Barr Virus
- General chemistry anion gap
- PSA test
- Urine microbiology and culture
In functional medicine, the focus is not on the pathology but on function. It is based on the understanding that biological changes precedes pathological change. It therefore investigates the CAUSE and MECHANISM of the illness, rather than the body system or organ involved.
In Naturopathy and in Functional Medicine, the aim is to gather enough information about the person to understand the predisposing factors (eg genetics, family history), the triggers (eg specific life events) and the mediators (biological changes caused, for example, by nutritional imbalances) that together have contributed to the illness. Unless the causes are properly investigated and addressed, complete healing is unlikely leaving the only other option (treating the symptoms rather than the causes) as “the solution”. Functional Medicine Laboratory tests seek to investigate the cause of illness as well as providing tools for the prevention of disease and premature aging. Assessments are available to investigate endocrine,gastrointestinal, immunological, metabolic and nutritional balance. These tests include but are not confined to:
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis
- Intestinal Permeability Test
- Organic Acids Test
- Adrenocortex Stress Profile
- Comprehensive Parasitology Profile
- Allergy Testing
- Mould/Biotoxin Panel
- Tick -Borne Disease Immunology (eg Lyme Disease)
- Autoimmune Assessement
- Comprehensive Cardiovascular Profile
- Neurotransmitter Profile
- Environmental Pollutant Exposure Panel
- Amino Acids Assessment
- Hair Mineral Analysis
- Heavy Metal Testing (pre and post chelation)
- Genomic Assessments (eg cardiac DNA profile)
The purpose of an Iridology consultation is to empower you with this understanding and to offer guidance to support to help with specific health challenges (current or future potential).
Iridology does not diagnose diseases
It is an analysis of the structure and appearance of your iris to describe tissue function and emotional and personality aspects.
Every person’s iris is a unique mandala, a colourful pattern describing the dynamic within. Your iris shows your constitutional tendencies, your strengths and weaknesses, current areas of irritation and stress (both emotional, mental and physical), and core nutritional requirements.
Your iris helps you to know what you need to do to take care of yourself now and in future. The structure, shapes and colours in your eye all have meaning, and when interpreted and understood, offer the wisdom of self-understanding.
While Physical Iridology and Rayid are concerned mainly with the coloured part of your eye, the iris, Sclerology is a science that is concerned with the markings and colourings in the whites of your eyes (scleras).
As a trained Sclerologist I practice the art of interpreting these signs as indicators of compromised health.
The presence, shape and appearance of blood vessels in your sclera and the presence, colour and form of coloured and or gel signs can all be interpreted to gain understanding relating to your health.
This can show up more information about current organ and system imbalances, many of which are difficult to see in the iris.
Body pH can be evaluated using samples of your urine and saliva, and by looking at certain blood indicators. A detailed questionnaire about your dietary intake and lifestyle will also be used.
Body pH is often considered to be the foundation of good health. It is my firm belief, after 24 years of clinical practice, that there are few health conditions that do not improve as a result of returning the body to an alkaline state.
When your body is alkaline, your cells get more oxygen, you have more energy, you age less quickly, you suffer less from pain and inflammation and your mood is brighter. In your treatment, we will take steps to assist you to restore a healthy body pH!
Join our Herb Lovers Family!
TUESDAY – FRIDAY 9.30 am – 5.30 pm
SATURDAY 9 am -12.30 pm